Visit to PPES

02 August 2015

For the past two and a half months, I’ve taught health education to the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 11th graders here at PPES. At first it was a real challenge trying to communicate with them without me speaking Hindi and without them speaking English, and for the first few weeks of my stay, I was always on the lookout for another teacher to translate for me during class. After about a month, I began pushing through all the classes without a translator, and while it was painful at times, it ended up being really fun. Every time we understood each other, the entire class would get excited and we’d celebrate by doing a cheer that involved us miming animals ranging from lions to peacocks (with none of us truly knowing how to mime a peacock). 

If there’s one thing all the students desire from the volunteers that come to PPES, it’s for us to dance for them. If I had a rupee for all the times a student interrupted a lesson or randomly said, “Ma’am, please, dance. No ma’am, dance.” I would be a rich girl. For the times we would dance together and I would wow them with my superb dance skills (the sprinkler, running man, and lawn mower) they would laugh and join along, except for that one time a 6th grader wrinkled her nose at me and said “Ma’am…no.” Though it’s safe to say the Macarena is a huge hit with ALL the students. It’s also cool to see the imprint past volunteers left on them, particularly with their English. Many 11th graders love the opportunity to say “I’m awesome!” instead of “I’m good” (thanks, Mikey) and are eager to learn new words (I supplied them with “splendid”). One of my favorites was when I went to my 7th B class and one of the girls told me my hair was “Messy hair, don’t care” – not sure which volunteer taught her that but I laughed pretty hard. All the students are always really well kept, with their hair tamed and braided, and I always tend to have messy, yesterday’s ponytail-hair. Which leads me to one of my favorite things about teaching here – taking advantage of their incredible braiding skills and letting them braid my hair almost daily. It was a win/win for all of us; having your hair braided is awesome, and they always had fun doing it. 

The students at PPES are absolutely amazing. They are beautiful, intelligent, inspiring, and eager to learn. They are your typical pre-teens and teenagers and love hearing about America and other places that are different from India. They’re also incredibly forgiving of how horrid I am at pronouncing anything in Hindi, and for that, I am forever grateful.






-by Cate Green

7 comments:

Paz Vega said...

Very nice information you have shared in this post! Hardly thank you for sharing this with us.


Employment News of This Week

Radhika Sharma said...

Great Post, Cheers!!

ritika said...

Amazing post.Thanks for your details and explanations. This is excellent information. It is nice to see that child care ngo in delhi.it is striving hard to help the poor and unprivileged sessions of the society.I was looking for some article related to NGO's in India when i came across your informative blog.

abhi verma said...

you blog provide very amazing informative data and it is very amazing for your blog readers primarykamaster.sarkari-results.org.in

Sanjay Sharma said...

All information about sarkari result 10+2 latest job can be found only on examsresult.in

Unknown said...

result today - Are you getting handy information to prepare for government exams. Are you facing any kind of problem in preparing for your competitive exams? If you have doubts related to exam results and government exams? For all these information, you visit My Sarkari Result Service Provider

Also Visit
mysarkariresult.co.in

up board sarkari result said...

Every year lakhs of students wait for the sarkari exams online form after giving job exams and they look for government results on Google. If you are looking for your exam result then you can also get your Sarkari Naukri Exam Result in minutes through our website.